READING, Pa. - A number of UGI customers have received phone calls stating that they owe money for their energy bills and that non-payment would result in having their service shut off later that day, the Reading-based utility announced Monday.
The caller goes on to instruct the customer to purchase a pre-paid Visa card and call back with the card number and details so it can be applied to the customer's account, officials said.
The phone calls are neither being made by UGI nor are they a practice UGI would follow if a customer is not current on an account, officials said.
In fact, UGI said most of the calls have been received by customers who are current on their accounts.
UGI is advising all of its natural gas and electric customers who receive such a call not to provide any information and to contact UGI at 800-276-2722.
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- Updated Crews respond to morning house fire in Alburtis
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather