Parents of autistic kids know their children can thrive with routine, patience and love. And one Berks County mom says prayer helps too.
December's Unsung Hero is Cathy Moyer, mother of Jordan, 16.
Cathy Moyer waits for Jordan's school bus...
"Some days are pretty good and some days are bad, but you know what when you have the good days you appreciate them 10 times more than a normal parent," she said.
With a 16 year-old autistic son, she doesn't know which day this will be.
Autistic children thrive on routine, and seeing a news camera is not part of Jordan's regular day. Cathy didn't know how he would react.
"A good day is when Jordan comes home and he doesn't throw anything and he settles right away," Cathy said.
"She hasn't seen a break and I mean a real honest to God break in 16 years," Cathy's husband Rick said. Rick nominated Cathy as this month's unsung hero.
Jordan unwinds with potato chips and circulars.
"That's how he learned how to identify a lot of items from the circulars actually," Cathy said.
Cathy helps Jordan relax while her husband Rick prepares french fries. Jordan is autistic and 8 years ago she learned Rick has MS.
Jordan wanted us to leave but we didn't ruin his day.
"If he was your son you'd love him because he has autism and he can't be helped," said Rick.
And whatever the day---Cathy stands by him not because she is an unsung hero because she's his mom.
When Jordan is at school Cathy has a part-time job.
"I take care of the retired sisters and the sick ones. And they are the bravest women I have ever known," Cathy said.
They are her heroes. She's Jordan's and Rick's.
"You need to find your passion and go for it. And don't stop praying because it will get you through every single day" said Cathy.
Sunoco Logistics Partners said there's so much interest in its plans to build a natural gas liquids pipeline across southern Pennsylvania that the company will actually build two pipelines.Read More »
- Coroner called to crash on Interstate 176 in Caernarvon
- Reading parents vent frustrations over safety in schools
- Greenville jumps out to fast start, holds on at Reading
- Boyertown girls secure spot in District I quarterfinals
- Albright men and women to play for title; KU stays hot
- One Tank Trip: Bloom Bloom exhibit at Kutztown University
- Updated Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Man accused of stabbing wife, daughter-in-law in Allentown
- Updated Coroner called to crash on Interstate 176 in Caernarvon
- Chicago to rock Musikfest this summer
- Updated Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Life Lessons: Raising a tech entrepreneur
- Easton adopts 20-year comprehensive plan
- Lehigh County supports anti-gerrymandering bill
- Allentown Parks & Rec Committee gives nod to new 'Auburn Cross Trails Park'