WASHINGTON - Republican U.S. Rep. Ryan Costello, who represents part of Berks County, is not seeking re-election, as WFMZ.com first reported Saturday night.
During a Sunday night appearance on MSNBC, the second-term congressman called it "the most difficult decision" he's ever had to make and said it was due to a number of factors, including the state's new congressional map.
Under the discarded map, Costello's district had a Republican majority that nevertheless helped Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump there by 2 percentage points in 2016.
The redrawn district, which includes the heavily Democratic city of Reading, has slightly more Democrats, and Clinton would have won it by 9 percentage points.
Costello, who was first elected to Congress in 2014, was expected to face a tough election battle against Democrat Chrissy Houlahan.
Pennsylvania State Police are trying to sort out the circumstances surrounding a crash involving a car and a tractor trailer in Berks County.Read More »
- Southwest offers apology, $5K to passengers on damaged jet
- Plane passenger dilemma: Protect child or try to save victim
- Ray Neag warmly remembered; 'He's meant so much to Berks'
- VF Outlet adjusting to new home at 'The Knitting Mills'
- After 2-hour delay, Fightins settle for split with Senators
- Police ask retailers to be on lookout for gift card scams
- Teen to spend at least 6 years in prison for fatal 2017 Easton wreck
- Updated Wrong-way driving precedes crash on Route 61 in Berks
- Man charged in fatal Allentown crash, believed to be in Dominican Republic
- Defense: Man accused of shooting Trooper Kelly competent for trial
- Updated VF Outlet adjusting to new home at 'The Knitting Mills'
- Updated 5 Schuylkill County boroughs, townships nominated as Opportunity Zones
- Updated Denied smokes, Allentown man allegedly threatens clerk with gun
- Updated SPCA seeks $7K in restitution from Bethlehem Twp. rescue
- Updated Air pistol, pocket knife found on Pottsville Area HS student
- Updated Southwest offers apology, $5K to passengers on damaged jet