READING, Pa. - A Reading man will spend up to 30 years in prison for seriously injuring his 3-week-old son.
Vidal Antonio DeJesus was sentenced Tuesday to nine to 30 years in prison after pleading guilty to aggravated assault.
DeJesus injured his son, Romeo, on three occasions in May 2013, fracturing 13 ribs and breaking his left arm and right leg, authorities said.
In an interview with 69 News, the baby's mother, Carisa Snyder, defended her boyfriend after his arrest, calling him an excellent father and saying he did not purposely harm the infant.
"DeJesus admitted to inflicting the injuries due to becoming frustrated with the child crying," countered District Attorney John Adams at the time the charges were filed in June 2013. "Children never should suffer these type of injuries."
The baby spent seven days in the hospital and was subsequently put in foster care, officials said.
- Updated Vehicle hits apartment building in Wyomissing
- Bethlehem Twp. police search for purse snatchers
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Today cooler, closer to seasonable with more clouds than sun
- Yo ho ho! Pennsylvania aims to smash US embargo on Cuban rum
- Girlfriend's on-air killing drives anchorman into politics
- New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- President Trump signs executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire