READING, Pa. - Forget the tip. A restaurant employee ended up ducking bullets as he fled for his life after attempting to deliver food to an apartment in Reading.
RPD officers said they got a call shortly after 5:30 p.m. Thursday for the report of a food delivery driver being shot at in the area of South 10th and Penn streets.
The victim told police the man who ordered the food approached his vehicle and began arguing about the price, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
The delivery driver attempted to call the restaurant to confirm the price, but he couldn't get an answer and told the customer he was leaving, police said.
At that point, the dispute became physical when the customer, subsequently identified as 19-year-old Jorge Luis Muriente-Vega, approached the victim, who then pushed back, police said.
As the driver was walking back to his car, police said Muriente-Vega pulled out a gun, pointed it at the driver, and opened fire, shooting at least three times.
The bullets missed their mark, allowing the victim to drive off as several people, who saw what went down, managed to restrain Muriente-Vega while he was still holding the gun, according to the court documents.
Police said they are now seeking Muriente-Vega on charges that include attempted homicide, aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person, and simple assault.
Anyone with knowledge of is whereabouts is urged to contact Reading police at 610-655-6116 or Crime Alert Berks County at 877-373-9913.
Tips can also be passed on through anonymous text to 847411, starting the message with keyword alertberks.
A Berks County man has been named the suspect in the fatal shooting of a woman at the apartment they shared in Kutztown on Sunday.Read More »
- 1985 fire at YMCA: 'It would be nice to hear some remorse'
- 30 years later, Alvernia professor still hears call of the turkey
- No tax increase for Muhlenberg Township residents
- Reading Hospital dedicates new 'healing garden'
- Maidencreek woman celebrates 100th birthday
- Annual food drive brings in 1,000+ turkeys for those in need
- Updated Mostly sunny, breezy day but with milder temperatures
- Updated Tanker crash closes Route 22 eastbound in Lopatcong Twp.
- Kutztown man charged with murder in fatal shooting of woman
- Updated Upper Saucon approves 2018 budget adjustments
- Updated 30 years later, Alvernia professor still hears call of the turkey
- Updated No tax increase for Muhlenberg Township residents
- Updated Bethlehem paramedics request body armor to protect themselves from irate patients
- Updated Turkey Day Game documentary complete; presentation made to Northampton School Board
- Easton vs. Phillipsburg powder puff game kicks off rivalry week
- State police searching for missing Delaware County man