WYOMISSING, Pa. - A beloved bird known to generations of Boscov's shoppers in Berks County has called it a career.
Willie the parrot has retired, leaving his perch above the toy department on the lower level of Boscov's at the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing.
Willie had been with Boscov's for more than 50 years, spending decades greeting shoppers, first at the former Boscov's West store in Sinking Spring and then at the Berkshire Mall.
"Hello" and "crackers" were long known to be his two favorite words.
"Almost every kid in this area grew up with Willie," Al Boscov told 69 News before Willie's move from Sinking Spring to Wyomissing in 2002.
Boscov's said Willie is doing well. He is happy and enjoying a quiet retirement.
One of the people indicted as part of a federal corruption investigation centered around Reading City Hall has admitted to his role in the case.Read More »
- Berks DA leads push for tougher sentences in fentanyl cases
- Behavioral health campus planned for 82-acre site in Bern
- Captured: Reading man jailed in attempt to kill girlfriend
- Reading Fair contest winner qualifies for Wing Bowl 26
- Baseballtown Charities, GT Church team up on Dream Field
- Berks sports surgeon explains Wentz's season-ending injury
- Lehigh Valley post office gets ready for Christmas push
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Allentown's oldest swimming pool gets a boost
- 2 men facing charges in relation to killing of Verizon store employee
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Updated Lehigh Township supervisors hold the line on taxes for 2018
- Updated Analyst: Alabama Senate race has national impact
- Easton Council holding hearing on tax abatement program
- Variances granted to advance Bethlehem Armory Apartment project
- Meal kit delivery company opening East Coast hub in Lancaster