SHILLINGTON - In District basketball action Tuesday, the Wilson boys defeated Reading for the fourth time this season. The Berks Catholic girls also won against West York to advance to states.
Both games were played at Governor Mifflin Intermediate School.
Wilson topped Reading, 60-54, in the late game in a District 3-AAAA playback game. The Bulldogs' Travaun Coad scored 23 points to lead the way. Sam Smith added another 13 points for Wilson.
Gil Benz also netted 23 points for the Red Knights. Tyree Gibson poured in 10, but it wasn't enough to lift the Red Knights.
Wilson clinches a state tournament berth and will play in the 5th place game Thursday night at 6:30 at Lebanon against Cumberland Valley. Reading has to win the 7th place game Thursday against Carlisle to get into states. That game is at Garden Spot at 8:00.
In the early game, the Berks Catholic girls sealed up their state tournament berth with a 58-37 win over West York in a District 3-AAA playback game.
BC's Katrina Balatgek led all scorers with 21 points. Devon Merritt added 14 points and Courtney Wensel had 12 in a dominant performance by the Saints.
Berks Catholic will play Palmyra Thursday in the 5th place game at a time and place to be determined.
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Paramedic reunites with family he helped decades ago
- Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts