SHILLINGTON - In District basketball action Tuesday, the Wilson boys defeated Reading for the fourth time this season. The Berks Catholic girls also won against West York to advance to states.
Both games were played at Governor Mifflin Intermediate School.
Wilson topped Reading, 60-54, in the late game in a District 3-AAAA playback game. The Bulldogs' Travaun Coad scored 23 points to lead the way. Sam Smith added another 13 points for Wilson.
Gil Benz also netted 23 points for the Red Knights. Tyree Gibson poured in 10, but it wasn't enough to lift the Red Knights.
Wilson clinches a state tournament berth and will play in the 5th place game Thursday night at 6:30 at Lebanon against Cumberland Valley. Reading has to win the 7th place game Thursday against Carlisle to get into states. That game is at Garden Spot at 8:00.
In the early game, the Berks Catholic girls sealed up their state tournament berth with a 58-37 win over West York in a District 3-AAA playback game.
BC's Katrina Balatgek led all scorers with 21 points. Devon Merritt added 14 points and Courtney Wensel had 12 in a dominant performance by the Saints.
Berks Catholic will play Palmyra Thursday in the 5th place game at a time and place to be determined.
A man who robbed two stores within hours of each other in Berks County on Wednesday is now behind bars, according to police, who said they believe the same suspect may have committed other holdups in Berks and Lehigh counties.Read More »
- NFL Draft experience is a hit In Philadelphia
- Berks football fans flock to NFL Draft in Philly
- Ace Hardware to open distribution center near Berks-Lebanon border
- 287(g) program hot topic at Berks commissioners meeting
- More than 100 businesses to strike on May Day
- Reading Health System honors its volunteers
- Woman dies after being attacked by her dog in Upper Macungie
- WFMZ's Lauren Kusik dances with the Lehigh Valley stars
- Police standoff underway in Bethlehem
- Updated Berks football fans flock to NFL Draft in Philly
- Updated LVPC offers regional industrial development overview
- Updated Quakertown CSD OKs proposed final budget
- Allentown doctor pleads guilty to tax crimes
- Local lacrosse teams raise money for cancer charity
- Grieving father urges parents to get gun lock after tragedy
- Woman arrested for arson in Minersville fire