READING - The Wilson WL boys and girls swept the Berks basketball championships Friday night at Santander Arena. The Bulldog boys knocked off defending champion Berks Catholic. The girls handled Fleetwood en route to a third straight title.
In the nightcap, Wilson tallied a 43-41 victory over Berks Catholic. Sam Smith scored on a backdoor cut off a pass from Matt Timochenko with 1.5 seconds left to give the Bulldogs the victory over the 2-time defending champions.
Jaylin Calloway was hot from beyond the arc, leading the Bulldogs with 17 points. Smith added 10 of his own.
The Saints got a game-high 21 points from Nana Foulland in the effort. The loss was the first to a Berks County team for the Saints.
In the early game, the Wilson girls defeated Fleetwood, 58-26, to capture a third straight league championship.
Every Bulldog Division I player scored in double figures. Wilson's Ivory Bailey led all scorers with 16 points. Carley Brew had 12 and Avery Marz added 11. Jessie Wallace also had 10.
Fleetwood was paced by 9 points from Kendra Bamberger.
Further highlights and reaction can be found on the Big Ticket section of the website.
- Suspect arrested in fatal shooting in Palmer Township
- Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Woman identified in Allentown hit-and-run
- Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- DOE rolls back transgender bathroom protections
- Easton 20-year plan envisioned
- Taxpayers' cost for Chris Christie security detail tops $2M
- Dunkin' Donuts helping to 'roast' hunger in Berks
- Building community by building birdhouses