UNION TWP., Pa. - A woman slipped from a rock ledge and fell to her death at a quarry in Berks County over the weekend, according to Pennsylvania State Police.
Police said the call came in just before 6 p.m. Saturday after Elizabeth McKibbin, of Elverson, Chester County, fell 300 feet into Dyers Quarry at French Creek State Park in Union Township.
PSP Trooper David Beohm, a public information officer for Reading-based Troop L, said six adults were drinking and partying in the presence of a 2-year-old and a 2-month old.
"It's really high up to jump into the water, and if you're not prepared for it, it's dangerous," said Beohm.
Investigators and witnesses said McKibbin, 27, was dancing on a rock ledge when she slipped and fell.
"The property owners don't want people back there because something like this could happen, and unfortunately we have a death because of it," added Beohm.
Rescuers responded to the quarry near Route 345, not knowing McKibbin's condition.
Several rescue boats were seen entering the property. Police said when they arrived, the victim was lying face down in the water.
Beohm said there are numerous "No trespassing" signs posted around the quarry, and McKibbin's death could have been prevented.
"No trespassing means no trespassing," said Beohm. "If they don't go down there to the quarry and they abide by the signs, maybe we're not even having this conversation today. There was a lot of drinking that was going on back there, so then you have a 2-month and a 2-year-old back there with you? I don't know that that's the place for the adults to be, let alone small children."
Boehm said there have been a handful deaths at Dyers Quarry over the last 20 years.
McKibbin's autopsy is scheduled for Monday, when investigators expect to learn her cause of death.
Police said they haven't decided whether the others who were at the quarry will face trespassing charges.
Route 222 travelers beware: A southbound stretch of the highway between Reading and Lancaster will be closed again this weekend.Read More »
- 2 lanes now open in Route 222 roundabout near Kutztown
- Royals ice tax payments during dispute over parking payments
- Blue Marsh Lake level being lowered ahead of expected rain
- Rain or shine, West Reading to hold first-ever Sand Festival
- Man survives being shot several times in Reading, police say
- Police: Reckless groundhog hunter nearly shoots joggers
- Police: String of thefts may be connected in Lower Macungie
- 'Miss Melanie Yoga' takes health to a new level
- 23-year-old dies in fatal Palmer Township crash
- Police investigate truck theft from Shillington Farmers Market
- Police investigate rollover crash in Whitehall Township
- History's Headlines: Drive-ins revisited
- Police: Early morning shooting in Reading leaves 1 in hospital
- Police search for missing, endangered Bucks County man
- Rep. Schlossberg discusses his new book 'Redemption'
- Man dies in Schuylkill County motorcycle crash