READING, Pa. - Dozens of little ones are stepping up to the plate for an annual baseball camp at FirstEnergy Stadium in Reading.
"Just trying to introduce baseball in a fun experience for the first time for a lot of these kids," said head instructor Eric Valent, a Phillies scout.
Dubbed "Fundamentals and Fun," the camp is now in its fourth year, and also enlists the help of former Fightin Phils pros.
"[We] just get them exposed to it. If we can teach them one little thing and just make 'em wanna play baseball next year or something like that, I think we've done our job," said Valent.
It was a job accomplished for many of the two dozen kids present on Thursday, the first day of camp, meant strictly for "beginners."
"I wanna be a pitcher!" said Justice Brenna.
Kids as young as three-years-old came out to the ballpark. Older kids are up to bat during the final days.
"We always start with a little bit of fundamentals, some basic running, hitting and pitching. Then the kids play a little game and they get to have some pizza, play in 'Phunland,' get some autographs from the players," said Valent.
"We ran around the bases two times, and we did the stations and I had fun!" said player Lucas Laam.
A candle is to blame for sparking a fire that displaced four people in Berks County on Thursday, officials said.Read More »
- BARTA approves bus route, schedule changes
- Berks sheriff nabs attempted homicide suspect
- Racers take to track at Ultimate RC Pitstop
- DYN-A-MITE Auctions a family affair
- Akron avoids sweep with a 4-2 win in Reading
- Firefighters fight 3-alarm fire in Birdsboro
- Coroner called to crash on Route 309 in Lynn Twp.
- Updated Christie's push for opioid cash from insurer hits roadblock
- Updated Muggy and unsettled with showers and a t-storm today
- Updated BARTA approves bus route, schedule changes
- Updated Convicted sex offender twice violated sentence by contacting victim
- Easton police arrest man on drug charges
- Sunrise Chef: Whole Foods
- Updated Racers take to track at Ultimate RC Pitstop
- Life Lessons: Men and depression
- Man hit by vehicle in Mahoning, taken to hospital