A popular drive-in, damaged by fire as the busiest part of its season was just getting underway, is now set to reopen.
Boehringer's Drive-in, 3160 N. Reading Rd., in Adamstown, Lancaster County, passed its inspection Friday. The fourth-generation drive-in will reopen for business at 11 a.m. next Wednesday.
The May 18 fire, sparked by an electrical malfunction in a milkshake machine, caused about $70,000 worth of damage, but the business' fourth-generation owner told 69 News that it could have been much worse because flames were close to destroying the entire building.
No one was injured.
Boehringer's was started in the basement of the current owner's great-grandfather's home in 1936. It's been operating at its current location since the 1940s and has long been famous among generations of families for its homemade ice cream.