IHOP waitress asks black teens to prepay for their meal
Eatery closed for employee training Thursday
(CNN) - An IHOP restaurant in Maine retrained its employees after a waitress asked a group of black teens to prepay for a meal.
The eatery in Auburn, about 40 miles north of Portland, closed on Thursday for employee training and the waitress was disciplined, according to IHOP spokeswoman Stephanie Peterson.
The controversy started over the weekend after a waitress at the restaurant asked a group of black teenagers to pay for their meal beforehand.
This was witnessed by a person at a nearby table who wrote about it on Facebook.
"I heard them order their food, and they were respectful and were not loud or rude etc. We paid and sat there for a few minutes and I heard an employee tell the table that they were going to need to pay upfront and that it was 'a new generation thing,' Avery Gagne, who is white, wrote in his post, which was shared thousands of times. "I called over (to) the group and asked them if they were seriously being asked to pay upfront and they said yes. So my father, mother and I stood up and began to question why this was happening."
Gagne went on to write that he felt the teens' race was an issue because the waitress immediately brought it up when trying to explain the situation.
"The woman took it upon herself to make this group of teens pay for their meal upfront because she considered them 'high risk.' I don't care who has walked out on your establishment. That does not give you the right to determine who you believe is going to or not," Gagne wrote. "My parents and I did not pay upfront for our meal, none of the tables around us prepaid for their meals. The fact that she stated 'it's not because of their color' proves it all."
The restaurant's management took to social media, too, and offered an apology.
"Everyone has been made aware of these inexcusable actions and reminded how we handle matters correctly in the future," read the post on IHOP Auburn ME's Facebook page. "We have rectified the situation and can guarantee this is not what we condone to go on within our restaurant."
The waitress' actions weren't racially motivated, manager Melvin Escobar told the Sun Journal newspaper, and added that the restaurant had been having problems with teens walking out of the restaurant without paying for their meals.
IHOP President Darren Rebelez also apologized, saying in a statement to CNN that the restaurant chain has "zero tolerance for actions that are or allude to discrimination of any type."
DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.
This Week's Circulars
WEATHER ALERTS
US & World News
-
Bomb that killed 40 children in Yemen was supplied by the US
The bomb used by the Saudi-led coalition in a devastating attack on a school bus in Yemen was sold as part of a US State Department-sanctioned arms deal with Saudi Arabia, munitions experts told CNN.
Read More » - Reports: First boys emerge from Thai cave
- British toddler Alfie Evans dies after life support is withdrawn
- US GP: Raikkonen ends 113-race wait to hold up Hamilton's title charge
- Brexit deal is 95% settled, UK's May to tell Parliament
- 4 Americans, 1 tour guide killed in Costa Rican raft accident
- DeSantis and Gillum spar over race, Trump in contentious Florida governor debate
Latest From The Newsroom
- Updated Police search for hit-and-run driver in fatal pedestrian crash
- Beloved Dorney Park worker appears on Ellen Show
- Allentown police seek information concerning video of fight outside nightclub
- First Senate debate features two experienced candidates
- Open Gate Farm Tours provides agriculture literacy
- Family wants justice after loved one killed in Reading shooting
- Travel restrictions on stretch of I-78 the week of October 21
- Lehigh County coroner looking for next of kin for Whitehall man
- 5 injured after tractor trailer, car crash on Route 61
- Berks Arby's serves up seared duck breast sandwich

Scott Olson/Getty Images 