ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski has scheduled a press conference Thursday afternoon.
The mayor make an announcement at his house in Allentown at 2:30 p.m. The press conference was originally scheduled for City Hall but has since been moved.
WFMZ will have a crew there and will stream the press conference live on 69 News and here at WFMZ.com.
Sources told 69 News Wednesday that Pawlowski plans to resign Thursday after being convicted last week of 47 federal charges.
The mayor had just begun his fourth term in office after being re-elected in November.
By charter, City Council President Roger MacLean would assume the role while council determines a long-term fill.
That person must be of the same party, in this case a Democrat, and will remain in leadership until the next municipal election which in November 2019.
- Berks 69 News
A one-time consultant to former Reading Mayor Vaughn Spencer has been suspended from practicing law.Read More »
For the next 30 days, MacLean will go from City Council President to acting Mayor of Allentown, as the city looks to find a replacement for Ed Pawlowski.Read More »
- FBI Probe Bo Koltnow | 69News
His resignation comes one week after Pawlowski was convicted by a federal jury for rigging city contracts to benefit his campaign donors.Read More »
- This weekend a pot of gold at the end of the week
- Stacey Esterly confronted husband about relationship with Amy Yu
- Coroner called to crash in West Penn Township
- Allentown's St. Patrick's Day parade to be held Sunday
- Updated Irish dancers perform for 69 News
- Updated Allentown hurlers give demonstration of the sport for 69 News
- Benefit basketball game played to honor former Schuylkill Valley student
- Allentown men charged after fatal crash involving stolen van
- Police: Drugged driver caused serious crash on Airport Road
- 66-year-old stabbed by juvenile, ruled a homicide