BRUSH, Colo. - It's not unheard of to find beef at McDonald's, but usually not like this.
A dairy cow escaped from her pen in Colorado and wandered to the Mickey D's drive-thru.
Tucked away off the main drag in Brush is a family farm any 4-year-old would run to. It's full of goats, a pudgy pig and a cow named, "Darcy."
That's Lady Darcy, the same cow that picked up a 5th place presentation award at the Morgan County Fair last summer.
"She's a good cow," said Sandy Winn, Darcy's owner.
Good is one way to describe her. Stubborn is another because when Darcy doesn't get attention in her pen, she goes elsewhere to get it.
"We got a call from dispatch asking if my son had a dairy cow," said Winn. "I said, 'Yeah, he has a dairy cow,' and she told me that it was up at McDonald's."
Somehow, Darcy was able to break out of her gate and hoof it a half-mile to the local McDonald's.
She walked through the drive-thru and butted her head up against the window.
"Not making any orders. Maybe visiting relatives, but not making any orders," said Winn.
The folks at McDonald's got a kick out of it and snapped some pictures before Darcy's owners found out and took her home.
"I thought she was going to be in jail," said Winn's son, Lucas.
Little Lucas is happy to know the only pen Darcy will be staying in is the one she's accustomed to, equipped with plenty of grass and plenty of alfalfa.
"And crackers," said Winn.
No fries, no milkshake, but a story that has the whole town talking.
"She would probably go there again if she could get out," said Winn.
The Winn family said it had a pig escape once, but it only made it a block, not all the way to the barbecue place.
The family wasn't ticketed this time around, since Brush doesn't have a 'cow-at-large' ordinance.
At the Berks County commissioners' weekly board meeting on Thursday, an attorney for Old Main LLC addressed a resolution to approve financing for a renovation project at the Lutheran Home at Topton.Read More »
- Lehigh Valley Easton adopts 20-year comprehensive plan
- Lehigh Valley Lehigh County supports anti-gerrymandering bill
- Lehigh Valley Allentown Parks & Rec Committee gives nod to new 'Auburn Cross Trails Park'
- Berks Reading parents vent frustrations over safety in schools
- Berks Exeter Township School District approves water polo coaches
- Berks Muhlenberg details plans for intersection improvements
- Updated Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Updated Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- Updated Building community by building birdhouses
- Updated Transgender bathroom issue hits home in Berks
- Updated Health Beat: Fixing frozen shoulder syndrome
- Reading Royals owner buys ECHL team in Texas
- Suspect in beating death denied access to trial materials over witness safety concerns
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Christie on the radio? He says he'll consider his options