HAZLETON, Pa. - It's a new chapter for health care in Hazleton.
The Greater Hazleton Health Alliance and Lehigh Valley Hospital are now one.
"Today we are officially Lehigh Valley Health Network," said Thomas Kennedy, Chairmain of the Lehigh Valley Hospital-Hazleton Board of Trustees.
Hazleton General Hospital and LVHN have partnered for years.
Officials say the merger was the next logical step in enhancing quality health care in the area.
But with any merger..comes a level of uncertainty.
"We have no intentions of down sizing this, in fact this hospital is so darn busy today who would think of trying to run it with even one less employee," said LVHN President and CEO Ronald Swinfard.
"Both of our organizations realize that our successes are due to our employees, our dedicated colleagues are on the front line caring for our community every day," said John Fletcher, Interim President of LVH-Hazleton.
So far, the network has initiated two major changes.
First, LVHN will add the expertise and support of 40 board certified radiology professionals to the Hazleton campus.
And secondly, one of LVHN's MedEvac helicopters will be stationed on site.
"So that when patients need emergent care they can be immediately transported, listen closely, immediately transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital Hazleton for evaluation. If they need higher levels of care then we will be able to coordinate that through the network," said Swinfard.
LVHN officials say other changes following the merger are a work in progress.
But now that the two health care organizations have become one, it will be easier to learn how best to enhance care in the region.
More than $2 billion is spent annually on tourism in the Lehigh Valley, and that number is expected to increase.Read More »
- Lehigh Valley Allentown School Board considers tax hike to balance budget
- Lehigh Valley Lower Nazareth Board of Supervisors passes medical marijuana ordinance
- Lehigh Valley Allentown Rotary fountain receives Lehigh County OK
- Western New Jersey Warren County Freeholders call a meeting of mayors
- Lehigh Valley Easton City Council tables action on Billy's Diner lease agreement
- Berks Exeter police enforce zero-tolerance policy on township's roads
- Updated Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Passing shower this afternoon, mainly dry next two days
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley