HARRISBURG, Pa. - The House unanimously passed a bill on Monday con containing a key provision authored by state Rep. Mike Schlossberg, D-Lehigh.
The bill would update Pennsylvania's domestic relations law as it pertains to support and custody of children conceived by rape or incest.
House Bill 945, authored by state Rep. Angel Cruz, includes Schlossberg-sponsored language that would require the father of a child conceived by rape or incest to pay child support even if parental rights are terminated.
Schlossberg undertook this mission to eliminate a painful decision for women who've had to choose between receiving child support and terminating the parental rights of a rapist.
"This bill is about one thing: Protecting the victims of rape, including a child conceived from that harrowing experience," Schlossberg said. "If this bill becomes law, mothers will no longer have to fret about losing financial security if they wish to completely sever ties to the perpetrator of a heinous crime."
The House Judiciary Committee last year approved Schlossberg's H.B. 836, which sought to eliminate that dilemma but was folded into part of a larger reform package via the Cruz bill.
"I sincerely hope this bill becomes law, because no woman should be forced to remain in this precarious position," Schlossberg said. "As a society, we must provide avenues to eliminate such compounded suffering."
The Hanover Township Board of Supervisors have to decide how convenient they want to make alcohol sales in their township.Read More »
- Berks Reading planners move forward on subdivision of Fromm Electric
- Berks Reading City Council awards towing contract
- New Jersey Crowd wants Troxell to be Phillipsburg's next schools superintendent
- Lehigh Valley BASD seeks several grants
- Berks Audit of RAWA shows former executive director overbilled by $300K
- Lehigh Valley Lower Macungie OKs Shepherd Hills subdivisions
- 2 women in critical condition after crash near Dorney Park
- Jury to begin weighing sentence for police ambush killer
- Updated Motorcycle collides with vehicle in Bath, injuries reported
- Person of interest sought in shooting of 2 men in Reading
- Police: DUI suspect twice the legal limit with kids in car
- State report finds New Jersey teens should start school later
- 2 stores in Cumru robbed at gunpoint
- Rollover crash reported on I-78 in Lower Saucon
- Clouds and some sun with a sprinkle in spots; turning milder this afternoon
- Christie to mark prescription drug disposal event