Lehigh Valley

20 people sent to hospital following carbon monoxide leak at Bethlehem ice rink

Leak forces evacuation of 300 people from Steel Ice Center

Carbon monoxide leak

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - A faulty Zamboni machine sent 20 people to the hospital and forced the evacuation of about 300 people Saturday night after it leaked dangerous carbon monoxide levels into the Steel Ice Center in Bethlehem.

The Bethlehem Fire Department said those transported to local hospitals displayed symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea and headaches.

Officials could not provide details on their conditions Saturday night.

Officials said local youth hockey games were being played when the incident occurred.

Crews arrived at the ice rink just before 6:30 p.m. Saturday night and did not leave the scene until close to 10 p.m. The center reopened Sunday.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

34°F

Broken Clouds

TONIGHT

22°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom