ALLENTOWN, Pa. - As hundreds of Bon-Ton stores prepare to close their doors — shoppers at the South Mall in Allentown are preparing to say goodbye.
Many shoppers say news of the shutdown is upsetting but not surprising.
The company filed for bankruptcy back in February.
"They carried the top quality of everything and we're so dominated now by big box stores," said shopper Chris Hornaman.
The Bon-Ton has been at South Mall for decades.
"I think people are upset about the nostalgia factor. Hess's was there before Bon-Ton and then Bon-Ton took over for Hess's," said Rachel Berosh.
Berosh is the assistant mall manager.
She says it's unclear when the store will officially close and what will take its place — but she's optimistic given the Bon-Ton's prime real estate.
"It is located right in front of the mall, right facing Lehigh Street so it could give us a chance for a new demographic and some new customers," she said.
Liquidation firms Great American Group and Tiger Capital Group were the winners of an auction this week.
Bon-Ton's president says the company is disappointed by the outcome but is committed to "working constructively with the winning bidder to ensure an orderly wind down of operations on our associates, customers, vendors and the communities we serve."
Terry Hill Water Park is no more. On Saturday, the fixtures, the slides and even the peg leg pirate from the former longtime park in Upper Macungie Township, Lehigh County were auctioned off.Read More »
- History's Headlines: The last letter
- Good Samaritan ruins robber's day, police say
- 30 to more than 600 years: Pawlowski sentencing guidelines revealed
- Victim allegedly raped by own nephew speaks to 69 News
- New parklet installed in Bethlehem for socialization
- Police search for flower pot thief around Bethlehem
- People buy part of Lehigh Valley history at Terry Hill Water Park auction
- Police seek suspects who allegedly attempted to kidnap 2 juvenile girls in Bucks County
- Hunterdon County grand jury indicts two for allegedly distributing cocaine
- Pennsylvania Governor Wolf signs 2018-19 budget
- Bridge safety fencing bill to be sent to governor's desk
- Crews fight fire at Berks County recycling plant
- NJ Democrats fight over taxes as budget deadline nears
- US moves 100 coffins to inter-Korean border for war remains
- 2017 Great Allentown Fair queen talks with 69 News
- Dirt bikes and power drills among items stolen in Bucks County robbery