ALLENTOWN, Pa. - An Allentown business owner is suing the city, Mayor Ed Pawlowski and PennDOT over what she says is gender discrimination.
Laurie Atiyeh, the owner of Lehigh Valley Properties, claims that back in 2011 the city issued a condemnation action against her property on North Ivy Street for the American Parkway extension project. She claims the city failed to offer her fair market value.
In the lawsuit, Atiyeh says she tried to contact the city to discuss the situation, but no one ever responded. But, she says the city did negotiate with a church across the street.
Atiyeh believes she was treated differently because she is a woman.
She's asking for more than $1 million in damages.
An Allentown official says the city has not been served with the lawsuit and has no comment.
- Updated Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Passing shower this afternoon, mainly dry next two days
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley