ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A man who many say was responsible for the growth of the Great Allentown Fair was laid to rest Thursday night.
Ed Charles died Sunday morning at Lehigh Valley Hospice in Allentown.
Charles served as Chairman of the Executive Committee for the fair for 36 years.
He grew up in Whitehall and spent his life in countless community leadership positions promoting and rewarding youth.
Everyone we talked with said they'll remember him for how generous he was.
"He would always help anyone who needed help," said William Mayo. "You needed something he could help you with? He would do it smiling and happy about it..Just a great guy. He'll be missed by the whole country I believe."
Last October Charles was honored with the dedication of the Ed Charles Exhibit Hall at Ag Hall on the fairgrounds.
He was 98 years old.
- Arrest made in Allentown murder
- Deadly dog attack prompts warning to other dog owners
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Members of white supremacist group face federal charges
- Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Nazareth rollover crash injures two
- BB gun-toting vandals shooting out car windows in Reading
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Mahoning Drive-in Theatre is open for business
- Almost like summer at FirstEnergy Stadium