ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A 17-year-old is facing assault and robbery charges for his involvement in a pair of stickups that happened about 15 minutes and five blocks apart late last month in Allentown.
Police charged Denmy Almengo-Caba, of South Sixth Street in Allentown, with two counts each of robbery and simple assault and single counts of theft and conspiracy in connection to the Feb. 26 armed robberies. District Judge Michael Faulkner arraigned the teen Tuesday night, setting bail at $75,000.
The first victim – a juvenile male – reported to police that he was walking home from work about 8:45 p.m. Feb. 26, when he was approached from behind by two males in the area of 16th and Chew streets, according to court records. The victim said one of the alleged robbers, who was wearing a silver-colored coat, pointed a silver and black handgun at him and took his Beats wireless headphones that were worth about $230.
The two robbers then ran away on 16th Street.
The second victim told police that she was approached by two males about 9 p.m. at 11th and Chew streets. One of them pulled a gun that she described as silver with a black handle and demanded money, according to records.
After she offered to get money from her home, they ran from the area empty handed.
Police began searching the area and found Almengo-Caba wearing a jacket that matched the one described by the robbery victims. The second victim allegedly identified him as the robber, according to records.
Officers recovered a gun they allege Almengo-Caba threw away as he and the other juvenile tried to run from police. Authorities said the weapon was a pellet gun.
Almengo-Caba allegedly admitted to police that he held the gun during the first robbery, but said his partner took the headphones. He also allegedly told officers that he was walking away from the second victim, when his partner pulled the gun.
Almengo-Caba failed to post bail and was sent to Lehigh County Prison to await a preliminary hearing scheduled for March 20.
- Updated Brisk, chilly Friday with a mix of clouds and sun
- Democratic candidates debate hot-button issues
- Terrifying health scare gets couple into running
- Berks County philanthropist warmly remembered
- Lower Macungie hikes fee for developers
- Northampton County disbanding gaming authority
- Lehigh Valley teams going to World Finals in scholastic competition
- Police ask retailers to be on lookout for gift card scams
- Berks funeral home invites condolences to Bush family
- Crews clear logjam from Schuylkill River near Douglassville