ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A jury reached its verdict Thursday in the trial of a security guard accused of killing a man at a night club in Allentown.
The jury found Andrew Gesslein guilty of voluntary manslaughter for the shooting death of Michael Randolph at the North End Republican Club last April.
Relatives of the victim, Michael Randolph, said they didn't, however, get what they truly wanted for Gesslein.
"We are glad today we got the truth. That is the main thing." Randolph's mother, Michelle, said.
"He was wrongfully killed. I'm happy they found him guilty," said Randolph's sister, Malenia.
For the jury, it was a question of self-defense vs. reckless aggression.
Gesslein, of Tilden Twp., Berks Co., argued he feared for his life and thought Randolph, an aspiring rapper, was pulling a gun. No gun was was found on Randolph.
Almost a year later, the family may have gotten the verdict it wanted, but it didn't get what it felt it deserved -- a simple apology from Gesslein.
"What I was waiting on him was to say, 'You know what, I'm sorry,' even though he couldn't bring my son back. Judge asked him, 'Do you have anything to say?' and he said, 'No," Randolph's sister recounted.
Gesslein, who has a wife and daughter, could get up to 20 years behind bars. He's due back in court for sentencing June 11.
Randolph was also a father. His daughter will be turning one this month.
- Wrestler's dad sues to attend matches at rival school
- Crowd rallies in Allentown in support of Affordable Care Act
- Police say work release inmate escapes hospital in waiting car
- Police allegedly find 47 bags of pot in trunk of speeding car
- Police allege man beat up pregnant woman
- Police called to shooting in Allentown, 2 taken to hospital
- Updated Police called to shooting in Allentown, 2 taken to hospital
- Wilson superintendent resigns after auditor's report
- Updated Warmer air returns this afternoon through the end of the week with a few showers
- Updated Police search Horvath's father-in-law's home, seize several weapons
- Updated In-home care provider expands to Berks; 25 jobs to be added
- Police: Mom caught with meth, heroin, marijuana
- Bethlehem Township man killed in motorcycle crash
- Updated Sinking Spring man charged in case of road rage
- RACC to open satellite location at Wilson school
- Mohnton man ordered to prison in theft of power tools