Lehigh Valley

Attempted abduction report leads to confusion in Easton

Attempted abduction report leads to confusion in Easton

EASTON, Pa. - A lot of confusion has developed over a possible attempted abduction involving an Easton elementary school student.

The Easton Area School District and city police seemed to be saying two different things. So what's really going on?

John Reinhart, the district's superintendent, told 69 News he feels the recorded message to parents needed to be more clear.

Easton police will be patrolling the area because public safety of students is a priority for all involved.

Reinhart said a lot of things took place after a student at Paxinosa Elementary School told staff about a possible abduction attempt Tuesday morning.

"We had our police, district police officers, involved and after the interrogation of the student, we decided to inform the Easton Police Department of what happened," said Reinhart.

After calling the Easton Police Department, district officials kept looking into the child's story, but after asking several more questions...

"We decided at that time that we were going to turn this investigation over to the Easton police department to see if they could find any credible evidence out there," added Reinhart.

But a recorded message from the district saying, "The matter was investigated and ultimately deemed not credible. The investigation related to this report was closed," seemed to conflict with actions taken by the Easton Police Department.

"The message that went out sounded like both the district and the Easton police closed their investigation up, and that's not accurate," said Reinhart.

Easton detectives said they worked the case late into the night on Tuesday, and police were still questioning potential witnesses Wednesday morning.

Police said it's an on-going investigation, and district officials said they will make sure any future messages are crystal clear.

"We have to look at that and make sure in the future we issue statements that aren't confusing for parents," added Reinhart.

There was a question of why the recorded message wasn't sent until late afternoon. District officials said they were waiting for more solid evidence from police before sending a notice to parents.

This Week's Circulars

Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom