Lehigh Valley

Candles burning on newspapers caused Sunday fire

It happened in a home on Chapel Avenue in Allentown

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - "Misuse of candles" caused a fire in a south Allentown home early Sunday morning.

Captain John Christopher of the Allentown Fire Department said lit candles had been placed on top of newspapers in the kitchen at 1778 Chapel Ave.

He said the fire, which sent a woman to the hospital for smoke inhalation, was accidental in nature. He said fire officials have been unable to get any updates on the woman's condition.

Christopher said the most of the fire damage was in the kitchen and rear porch area. 

City code enforcement personnel have tagged the property as "raze or repair," meaning the home will have to be torn down if repairs are not made.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

32°F

Scattered Clouds

TONIGHT

24°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom