EASTON, Pa. - A man who is already serving a life sentence for the murder of an 11-year-old girl was back before a judge Friday.
Scott Oliver appeared in Northampton County Court in Easton for an appeal hearing.
Oliver was convicted more than 20 years ago in the 1989 killing of Melissa Jaroschak.
Oliver challenged the ruling for years, but DNA tests last year linked him to the crime. The tests, however, also showed someone else's DNA was found on the victim, so Oliver is asking for a new trial.
The judge will hear testimony from a DNA expert, and possibly from Oliver, in the next few weeks.
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic