READING, Pa. - A Lehigh County man is facing life behind bars for the murder of a woman in Laureldale nearly six years ago.
A judge Wednesday found Cory Vankeuren guilty of first degree murder for the deadly shooting of Audrey Giannotti inside the home she shared with her aunt and uncle on Earl Street in Laureldale, Berks Co., on Jan. 13, 2007.
Vankeuren, 37, faces an automatic life sentence, which will be formally handed down on Oct. 17, court officials said.
The short, non-jury trial began Tuesday with opening statements from attorneys and witnesses taking the stand for the prosecution.
Giannotti, 20, was shot to death inside as she slept with her two young children, who were both physically unharmed, inside her aunt and uncle's home.
The case grew cold for more than four years until investigators said they could determine that Vankeuren's gun was used to kill Giannotti. Vankeuren was arrested on Mar. 15, 2011 as he left his sister's home in Emmaus, Lehigh Co., where he was living, police said.
A possible motive for the homicide was a romantic interest Vankeuren had in Giannotti, said District Attorney John Adams. While Vankeuren was living in Maxatawny Township, near Kutztown, at the time of the killing, investigators said he would occasionally stay at the home of Giannotti's aunt and uncle as their guest.
Basilio Bonilla Jr. is getting his campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner underway.Read More »
- Mini-THON held at Allentown charter school
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies