SOUTH WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Wehr's Covered Bridge in South Whitehall Township has reopened.
The 173-year-old bridge, which is owned by Lehigh County, was closed as a precaution after a fuel truck exceeding its posted weight limit went over it on July 25.
Officials were concerned that the truck's excessive weight had compromised the structural integrity of the bridge.
The bridge reopened earlier this month, after a July 30 inspection by PennDOT engineers determined it had received no significant structural damage, reported Richard Molchany, Lehigh County's general services director.
The driver of the fuel truck turned himself in to police and was charged for ignoring the posted weight limits on the bridge.
- Updated Coroner called to Penn Twp. crash along Rt. 183
- Some rain/thunder this morning; PM shower/t-storm
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Updated Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day