ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Flames and smoke were pouring from a second story window of an apartment building fire.
Crews were called to285 East Union St. in Allentown late Monday night.
Reports indicate multiple people had to be helped out of the building around 11:45 p.m.
Crews at the scene say heavy flames and smoke were pouring from a second story window of the building's laundry room.
They say five people were rescued from the building, but all of them were treated at the scene and expected to be okay.
Fire officials said Tuesday the fire was contained to the laundry room, but there was smoke damage throughout the building.
The Red Cross assisted 14 residents who were displaced.
The building is the site of the former Mosser school, which was converted to 17 apartments. Four were unoccupied at the time of the fire, officials said.
The fire marshal is investigating.
A Lehigh Valley man charged in connection with a string of cell phone store robberies was in court for a preliminary hearing Wednesday.Read More »
- Pa. DEP holds IESI Landfill meeting
- Easton's new police headquarters taking shape
- Palmer receives $347K grant for Chrin Field development project
- ACCHS, Southern Lehigh boys advance to District 11-2A finals
- Pivetta, IronPigs end Indianapolis' 8-game winning streak
- The "Textalyzer" could be coming to a police station near you
- Cosby arrives for Day 3 of jury selection
- Updated Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Updated 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Updated Clouds and some sun this afternoon
- Updated Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Boutique at the Rink 2017 kicks off next Tuesday
- Environmental group to spend $130K in governor's race
- Life Lessons: Wisdom Wednesday: Finding your authentic self
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Bethel-Tulpehocken Library anticipates major renovations