MACUNGIE, Pa. - The best of the best mountain bikers are in our area for Bear Creek Mountain Resort's cross-country mountain bike national championships this weekend.
"Fast, hard, jarring. Really intense," said one rider.
"Expect to see the best of the best. This is a culmination of all these riders. This is the nationals this is what they compete for all year," national events coordinator for USA Cycling Tony Leko said.
The competitors include everyone from Olympians to top pros to juniors. Close to a thousand riders, from across the country are winding their way through the mountain.
"The course is a real mountain bike course for sure. Lot of rocks, and roots that is uncommon," rider Howard Grotts said.
This is year two of a two year deal for Bear Creek to host the event.
You've heard of the Yellow jersey with the Tour De France but here at the Cross County Mountain Bike Championships it's all about the stars and stripes.
Sixty national titles will be handed out over the weekend.
Emily White, 14, of West Chester, won one of those titles.
She and fellow competitor Emma Freymann hope more girls follow in their wheel spokes.
"The fun part is the adrenaline for it and the companionship with all of us," White said.
The event is all weekend, with the top pros and Olympians set to ride Saturday.
An Easton man has been charged in connection with a deadly shooting in Palmer Township Thursday night.Read More »
- Police nab pair advertising pot sales online
- Allentown police confiscate crack, heroin, pot in separate raids
- Police allege man drives stolen motorcycle on Allentown sidewalk
- Wrestler's dad allowed to attend matches at rival school in area adjacent from gym
- LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Near record warmth again today
- Updated Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Updated Police nab pair advertising pot sales online
- State police reveal cost of local police coverage: $600M