ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Dieruff High School in Allentown welcomed back an alumnus who has made his hometown proud.
Former NFL player Andre Reed visited the school Wednesday for "Andre Reed Day."
Reed, a 1982 graduate, was a wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills and will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August.
He spent the day at the school meeting with people and then attended a pep rally in his honor.
"Dieruff High School is where my dreams were started," he told the crowd.
Reed made quite an impression on the school's football players, who had a chance to speak with him.
"It's exciting. It shows that players from Allentown can make it into the NFL and Hall of Fame," said Joshua Trejos, a senior.
"It was a real honor to see him and come back and appreciate his school," said
Brian Sutton, a sophomore.
"It was fun walking around, knowing that he came from Dieruff and made it so far in life to the Hall of Fame. It was an honor," said Tyshyn Harmon, a senior.
During the ceremony, Dieruff retired Reed's #11 high school jersey.
Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski presented him with the key to the city and read a proclamation declaring April 23 Andre Reed Appreciation Day in the city.
Students also presented a check to the Boys and Girls Club in Reed's honor. The money was raised from an Andre Reed t-shirt day fundraiser.
"They did a fabulous job of putting this together for little old me," Reed said after the ceremony. "Your high school days, you always remember to a certain point and walking through here this morning and talking to a lot of the kids, it's really no different. They can do anything they want to do. They can be anything they want to be in sports or anything and I'm a testament to that: that if you work hard, you can achieve any goal you want to."
As for getting inducted into the Hall of Fame, he said, "It's not going to sink in probably really until I put that gold jacket on."
- Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society