EASTON, Pa. - Nearly 100 Easton Area teachers will have new jobs when school starts this fall.
The Easton Area School Board on Tuesday approved the transfer of 96 educators in what the district says is an effort to reduce class size at the elementary and middle school level.
Most of the moves involve switching teachers from school to school, but keeping them in the same subject, or moving elementary teachers to different grade levels.
But a few teachers will find themselves in completely new jobs when the semester begins.
Among them is Shannon Mohap, who will move from teaching English to Easton Area High School sophomores to serving as the librarian for Paxinosa Elementary. She asked the board to reconsider her transfer.
"I can tell you with 100 percent certainty, my move is not in the best interest of the district," Mohap told the board.
She's never worked at the elementary level, and only got her librarian certification after taking a practice test, something the state no longer allows.
Alyssa Emili, the district's director of curriculum and pupil services, said the transfers became necessary earlier this year after a number of teachers retired.
A complete list of transfers can be found on the district website.
Also Tuesday, the board appointed Palmer Township computer science teacher Brian Snyder as its newest member.
Snyder replaces board member William Rider, who resigned recently because he's moving out of state.
The board chose Snyder over former board member Jodi Hess, who lost her seat in 2011 after serving four years.
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- President Trump will celebrate 100-day benchmark with rally in Harrisburg
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Fishing event makes dreams come true
- Legendary coach honored in Kutztown
- Giant issues recall of Atkins burritos, Lay's Kettle Cooked chips
- Pennsylvania launches tax amnesty program
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.