ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Family members of a fatal stabbing victim said Tuesday's incident stemmed from a family argument.
Chanelle M. Allen, 37, suffered a stab wound and died at Lehigh Valley Hospital Cedar Crest shortly before 11 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Lehigh County coroner's office.
Allentown police and paramedics responded to 1325 West Gordon Street shortly before 10:30 p.m. Tuesday for a reported stabbing, according to a news release from police Chief Glen Dorney.
When officers arrived, they found a woman, later identified as Allen. Officers also found a 65-year-old Allentown man who was identified as the person who stabbed her.
Investigators are now working to determine whether the fatal stabbing was justified.
Allen's family members on Wednesday identified the 65-year-old as the recently estranged boyfriend of Allen's mother. They indicated that the stabbing occurred in the man's apartment.
Allen, who was a mother of four, worked as a chef at Muhlenberg College, according to family.
The coroner said the cause of death is attributed to a stab wound and that her death has been ruled a homicide. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
Authorities are investigating whether the stabbing was justified, according to Dorney.
Police were assisted by the Lehigh County district attorney’s office, the Lehigh County Homicide Task Force and the county coroner’s office.
Dorney said the investigation is ongoing and asks that anyone who may have information about the incident contact Allentown detectives at 610-437-7721.
The money raised goes to the Battle of the Badges Scholarship Fund which helps children of police officers or firefighters go to college.Read More »
- Reading ceremony commemorates USS Maine sinking
- Northampton, Monroe County high schools hold Dance-A-Thons
- Bethlehem Public Library holds Punk Rock Flea Market to raise money
- Hundreds take part in Lehigh Valley Polar Plunge
- Dorney Park holds job fair for 2018 season
- Multiple-rollover crash shuts down I-78 West in Berks County
- A few showers later today but another spring-like surge awaits
- Updated Man killed in crash on Route 422 in Reading
- Allentown defeats Reading in 13th annual Battle of the Badges hockey game
- Woman killed, husband injured in Hamburg domestic incident
- Updated Fire breaks out at Wyomissing apartment building
- Pa. Supreme Court to unveil new congressional map
- Man charged with aggravated assault in Red Hill incident
- Allentown bests Reading 3-2 in Battle of the Badges hockey game
- Teen rescued from cave after becoming wedged between rocks
- Viewer Photo Gallery: Snowfall