WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - Authorities are investigating a fast-moving blaze that shut down a Perkins restaurant in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh Co.
The fire broke out around 5:30 p.m. Sunday inside the restaurant at 1450 MacArthur Rd.
"There was a lot of fire on the roof. I was surprised to see that much fire," said Chief Robert Benner, Whitehall Fire Co.
"It's really chaotic with all of the fire trucks, ambulances, and emergency vehicles. The top of the right side of the building was really bad. It was just fully engulfed in flames," said Meghan Springer, a witness.
All five employees and 12 guests were able to get out of the burning building uninjured, according to Vivian Brooks, a Perkins spokeswoman.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital after pinching his hand on a ladder, according to Benner.
The fire was contained mostly to the roof and most of the damage was caused by the water, Benner said. Crews were able to put out the fire in about 30 minutes.
Officials said the fire was likely electrical, but the investigation is ongoing. Investigators were expected to return to the scene Monday morning.
The restaurant will be closed for a least a few weeks.
Perkins released the following statement:
"The Whitehall Perkins, located at 1450 MacArthur Road, is closed until further notice as a result of a fire that occurred Sunday evening at approximately 5:30 p.m. All guests and employees were safely evacuated from the restaurant with no injuries. We are very grateful for the quick response and hard work of the fire department and the fact that no one was harmed. We appreciate the community's patience as we learn more about the extent of damage to the building and determine exactly when the restaurant can be reopened."
An Easton man has been charged in connection with a deadly shooting in Palmer Township Thursday night.Read More »
- Police nab pair advertising pot sales online
- Allentown police confiscate crack, heroin, pot in separate raids
- Police allege man drives stolen motorcycle on Allentown sidewalk
- Wrestler's dad allowed to attend matches at rival school in area adjacent from gym
- LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Near record warmth again today
- Updated Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Updated Police nab pair advertising pot sales online
- State police reveal cost of local police coverage: $600M