Lehigh Valley

Fire rekindles at old Rockdale Hotel in North Whitehall

NORTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - A fire that destroyed a historic building in Lehigh County rekindled Wednesday morning. WFMZ's Chandi Lowry was at the scene.

The initial fire broke out at the old Rockdale Hotel at 1806 Rockdale Road in North Whitehall Township around 7 p.m. Tuesday, according to Lehigh County officials.

Firefighters said the fire rekindled in the basement. 

The three-story hotel had been converted into a home and was occupied at the time of the fire.

John Horwith, the homeowner, says he has lived there his entire life.

Horwith belives the fire started in the chimney.

"I seen a little flame inside the living room and here the son of a gun was burning on the other side of the house," Horwith said. "I threw some water on it."

With his wife standing outside of the home, he ran back into the house to try and save his pets.

Fire officials say several cats ran out of the home and his dog Toby now sits in John's hands, but two birds died in the blaze.

Horwith says he plans on living in a motor home and parking on his property until he can find a more permanent home.

Fire crews have left the scene and officials are still investigating to determine exactly what sparked this fire.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars


Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom