Lehigh Valley

Forks Twp. police allege man burglarizes restaurant twice in four months

He was caught about two weeks after being paroled

FORKS TWP., Pa. - Forks Township police said they arrested a man early Wednesday morning for allegedly breaking into the same restaurant he burglarized about four months earlier.

Maurice A. Greene is facing burglary, criminal trespass and attempted theft charges for allegedly crawling through a window at DeLorenzo’s Restaurant looking for a bottle of booze. His arrest comes about two weeks after he was released on parole in connection with the first burglary.

Police were dispatched to the restaurant at 3417 Sullivan Trail about 12:15 a.m. Wednesday to investigate a burglar alarm. Officers found an overturned bucket below a partially opened window and fresh footprints in a dusting of snow near a back deck, according to court records.

Police found no one inside and found footprints out the back door to a nearby parking lot.

The owner, who found nothing missing, told authorities the burglar tripped an interior sensor and was probably driven away by the sound of the alarm.

Police were still searching the area about 1:45 a.m. when an officer stopped Greene in the 800 block of Uhler Road, which is near the restaurant, according to records. The officer recognized Greene from the September 2016 burglary and believed he saw him walking along Sullivan Trail earlier in the evening.

During an interview with authorities, Greene eventually admitted to climbing in through a window in search of a bottle of liquor, according to police. He said he needed the booze to settle a debt, but that he ran before he could grab a bottle.

District Judge Alicia Zito arraigned Greene Wednesday morning, setting bail at $150,000. He failed to post bail and was sent to Northampton County Prison to await a preliminary hearing tentatively scheduled for Feb. 13.

Greene pleaded no contest in December to a single count of burglary and was sentenced to 75 days to 23 months in prison. Court records indicate he suffers from mental health issues and was ordered as part of his no contest plea to continue with mental health treatment and medication.

A county judge last month signed an order making Greene eligible for parole effective Jan. 17.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars



Lehigh Valley News

Latest From The Newsroom