A federal appeals court is giving a former Northampton County Prison inmate a new trial.
In 2012 Iman Sharif pleaded no contest in a criminal trial that stemmed from an altercation with Northampton County corrections officers.
Then later, in a related civil trial, in which Sharif alleged the officers used excessive force, the judge allowed the plea from the previous trial to be heard.
His lawyer says that never should have happened.
The appeals court agreed.
A new trial date has not yet been set.
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival