ROCKVILLE CENTRE, N.Y. - A former Princeton basketball player and accountant who went on to become a priest is now the leader of New York's Diocese of Rockville Centre.
Bishop John Barres was installed in a ceremony Tuesday. The diocese serves nearly 1.5 million Catholics on Long Island.
The native of Larchmont, New York, formerly served as the bishop of Allentown, Pennsylvania.
He replaces Bishop William Murphy, who's retiring at the age of 76.
- Snow winding down; temperature is dropping
- Road conditions deteriorating as temperature drops
- PHOTOS: 69 News viewer photos of the first snowfall of the season
- Husband charged in death of North Catasauqua woman
- Excitement and cheer fill the North Pole Express
- Police investigate burglary at house in Hunterdon County
- History's Headlines: The Youngest Allen
- Free adoption weekend in Berks County
- 69 News spreads a little Christmas cheer
- Breaking down the Bitcoin buzz