ALLENTOWN, Pa. - It's time for the Great Allentown Fair. In its 162nd year, the fair will begin Tuesday and run through Labor Day.
Vendors spent Monday setting up and getting ready for the crowds, and be sure to go hungry because there are many different food options.
"We have over 200 concession stands on our avenues and a good majority are food," said Bonnie Brosious, a fair spokeswoman. "You can get anything from a taco in a cup or a cheesesteak in a cup, that's new this year, to chocolate covered bacon."
"I guess our most popular would be gyros, which is lamb, lettuce, tomato, onion and sauce, and he's actually Greek, so they're authentic," said Forrest Raley, with John the Greek.
"Danny Deluxe is like an Italian sandwich and that comes with onions and mushrooms and peppers and cheese and sauce," said Jose Cruz, with Danny's Fine Food.
Brosious said a new vendor on the east end of the fairgrounds will be serving French fries with gravy.
Of course, there will be all of the traditional fair food.
"You're not going to go to the fair and not have an elephant ear or funnel cake and some of those great things," said Brosious. "Some of the things they're putting on sticks now are kind of crazy and if it's fried and doughed, we do it."
"Our funnel cake lady, she's been doing it for 40 years," Cruz said.
Brosious offered some words of advice that may come in handy when you visit the fair.
"Don't count the calories," she said. "Please, don't count the calories."
- Updated Police make arrest in deadly Palmer Twp. shooting
- Near-record warmth again today
- City of Reading receives FBI subpoena for documents
- Updated Life Lessons: End of life start ups
- Emergency sewer work shuts down Rt. 100 in Bally Borough
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Thursday's record-breaking warmth in Allentown