ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Fresh off debuting his new budget, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf was in Allentown today, promoting his plan to support job training and manufacturing.
The governor stopped Wednesday at the "Carpenter's Apprentice School," a vocational center that trains workers.
"What I'm trying to do with my budget is make sure the Commonwealth has the resources it needs to continue to invest in programs like this," Wolf said.
And finding apprentices for businesses in Pennsylvania is a big part of the plan.
"There's a lot of tiny centers like this across the state, and they churn out people with family sustaining wages, really good jobs," the governor said.
The governor's new budget calls for two grant programs that give money to businesses to help train their workers and support places like this. It opened about six months ago on Vultee Street in Allentown.
"We teach all aspects of carpentry, welding, how to use different equipment such as aerial lifts," said Fran Schlenner, instructor for Philadelphia Joint Apprenticeship Committee.
Accepted candidates can learn skills related to the job and become a certified journeyman carpenter.
For more information you can go to carpentersofphila.com
- UPDATED: Snowfall totals from the 69 News' viewing area
- Lehigh Valley Auto Show delays Thursday opening
- Allentown opens parking decks to residents
- LANta shuts down routes Wednesday afternoon
- LANTA to run on modified scheduled Wednesday
- Speed, travel restrictions in place on Pa. Turnpike, major highways
- Updated Allentown Police Chief Glen Dorney is retiring
- Updated UPDATED: Snowfall totals from the 69 News' viewing area
- YOUR PHOTOS: Fourth major winter storm in 3 weeks
- Berks County snow totals: How much have you seen?
- Snow days equal shortened spring break, longer school year
- Health Beat: Out of options: New valve saves hearts
- Lawmaker accused of abusing colleague won't seek re-election
- Senate approves bill to protect domestic violence victims
- Attorney: Dad wasn't primary caregiver for baby found dead
- DA to hold news conference on violent drug trafficking group