ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Before 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Allentown police spotted 36-year-old Brian Morgan Jr. showing a handgun to two males in front of 438 N. 7th St. in the city.
Morgan looked at police, tucked the gun into his pants and pulled his shirt over it, said Capt. Daryl Hendricks.
He then walked north on 7th Street, ignoring police orders to stop and put up his hands. Then he began running, first north on 7th, then west on Liberty.
When Morgan grabbed at the front of his waist in an attempt to pull the gun out, police tasered him in the back, sending him to the ground.
Morgan continued to resist arrest and additional officers were needed to take him into custody.
Hendricks reported police took a fully-loaded Smith & Wesson .22 pistol from Morgan.
Hendricks said the gun had been reported stolen.
Morgan was charged with possession of a firearm, receiving stolen property, carrying a firearm without a license, terroristic threats, resisting arrest and simple assault.
He was sent to Lehigh County Prison after being unable to post bail, which was set at $100,000.
Police approached Morgan after receiving a phone tip that a man with a gun was in the 400 block of North 7th Street.
Basilio Bonilla Jr. is getting his campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner underway.Read More »
- Mini-THON held at Allentown charter school
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies