LEHIGH VALLEY, Pa. - It may not feel like it outside, but flu season is upon us.
"What we've noticed is that there are already flu cases that are being identified so that's a bit early," said Terry Burger, Director of Infection Control and Prevention at Lehigh Valley Health Network.
Burger says the group has already seen about 10 flu cases this year, calling it an early start to the season. She says the number one way to prevent influenza is to get vaccinated.
"The safest thing to do is protect yourself, protect your family, protect your coworkers and get vaccinated," said Burger.
Burger says while no vaccine is 100 percent effective, the flu vaccine does help decrease the severity of the illness. And despite what you may have heard, you can't get the flu from the vaccine but Burger says it's important to understand how you can.
"It is a virus, it is spread by secretions. It's spread by somebody coughing, sneezing, talking in close proximity to someone else," said Burger.
Burger is urging people to get the vaccine sooner rather than later as it takes two weeks to work.
She says it's too early to predict how this flu season will play out but we have a long road ahead.
"Nobody really knows exactly what the flu season's like until it actually starts to ramp up. But it is a little early and it usually lasts a good five to six months," says Burger.
Lehigh Valley Health Network will hold two free flu shot clinics. The first is set for Nov. 4 at Dorney Park and the second will be held at Coca-Cola Park on Nov. 5. The clinics will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
A call to investigate a fight in the borough of Wilson ended with two men charged for threatening and assaulting officers and at least two people hurt.Read More »
- Mother withdraws her case against Easton officer who shot her son
- Easton police investigate shots fired incident
- Halloween parade marches through Allentown
- Pennsylvania Turnpike bridge replacement finished, road reopens
- Wilson residents want something done at Dixie Cup plant
- Residents speak out against possibility of prison on Gracedale property
- Fire officials investigate house explosion in Coolbaugh Township
- Police: Man shot daughter's boyfriend in groin at motel
- Judge won't toss charges against New Jersey US Sen. Menendez
- Updated Collegeville man charged with drug delivery and overdose of Perkiomen man
- Updated Brother of slain Pennsylvania man describes Vegas shooting
- Updated Police: Multiple windows shot out by BB guns in Hackettstown
- Updated Fight investigation in Wilson leads to 2 arrests, 2 hurt
- Updated Mother withdraws her case against Easton officer who shot her son
- Updated Christie endorses Newark bid to win new Amazon headquarters
- Man charged with aggravated assault near Mount Airy Casino