EASTON, Pa. - We are now just days away from this year's highly-anticipated Freddy Awards.
This Thursday, 29 high schools from across the area will compete to take home coveted musical theater awards, and the show will be broadcast live on WFMZ-TV at 7 p.m.
"I'm more excited than nervous," says Jaden Boyd, nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role.
Madelyn Dundon is nominated for two things: Vic Kumma Award for Outstanding Solo Vocal Performance and Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. She adds the moment is "Huge! Momentous, really!"
"It's a beautiful thing and I'm so thankful for it," Brielle Rivera tell us. She's also up for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role.
"This is the big time and they know it!" That's what Shelley Brown, President and CEO of Easton's State Theatre says about the Freddy's.
And it's now just a few more days until the big time, takes place in real time. Until the big moment on Thursday, the final touches are being put at rehearsal for the 2016 Freddy Awards.
"The kids of course are always perfect," Brown says. "They know their numbers, they know their marks. They're perfect."
Surrounded by art at Easton's State Theater, these high schoolers are making art and in turn, hitting all the high notes, just enjoying the moment.
"I'm so grateful that we have this here, because without it I don't know where we'd be, because the arts need all the support we can get and this is a great thing for it," Rivera says.
Dundon adds, "In our world when people need an escape and people need something that brings them joy!"
"I mean this is why we started this," Brows says, adding, "We wanted to see trophy cases have something for musical theater."
There will be something special about the night.
"You can't predict at the Freddy's, everyone's a winner as Shelley Brown always says!" says Dundon, laughing.
Just be prepared for a spectacular night this Thursday.
- Man killed in fatal fire in Bethlehem Twp. ID'd
- Updated Coroner ID's man killed in Allentown crash
- History's Headlines: Man of Steel
- Firefighters battle fatal fire in Bethlehem Twp.
- Exeter Township police unveil new traffic enforcement unit
- Football excitement reaches fever pitch in Berks County
- Federal prosecutor previews trial of Mayor Ed Pawlowski
- Diehard Eagles fan's friends were on target with this surprise
- East Greenville tables discussion of disbanding police department
- FERC approves PennEast pipeline project