LOWER MACUNGIE TWP., Pa. - A lawsuit has been filed over the controversial tax district that will help fund a shopping center in Lehigh County.
The Lower Macungie Township Commissioners voted last month to participate in a tax incremental funding plan -- or TIF -- for the proposed Hamilton Crossings shopping center.
Now, the company that owns the nearby Trexler Mall and Trexlertown Plaza has filed a lawsuit against the commissioners, saying the new shopping center will harm its businesses.
The company said the proposed construction site is not in an urban, blighted area, which it said is a prerequisite to creating the TIF district, and the owners said they've invested millions of dollars in their own shopping centers without a subsidy or special tax zone.
The township solicitor said he won't comment on the lawsuit until he meets with the board of commissioners.
- Updated Police make arrest in deadly Palmer Twp. shooting
- Near-record warmth again today
- City of Reading receives FBI subpoena for documents
- Updated Life Lessons: End of life start ups
- Emergency sewer work shuts down Rt. 100 in Bally Borough
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Thursday's record-breaking warmth in Allentown