OCEAN CITY, Md. - A Lehigh County man has died after police said he was assaulted in Ocean City, Maryland.
Police were dispatched around 3:20 a.m. Sunday to 109 N. Atlantic Ave. for the report of an assault.
Officers found Justin Cancelliere unresponsive in the parking lot of the Plim Plaza Hotel, police said.
Cancelliere, a 37-year-old husband and father of two young children from North Whitehall Township, later died at Atlantic General Hospital.
Cancelliere's family declined to talk Monday about his death, but family friends said he headed to Ocean City to take his mind off his grandmother's recent funeral.
"I just wanted to drop to my knees 'cause [I] have been friends with him for quite a while," said Bob Billings, who lowered his flag to half-staff in Cancelliere's honor. "This guy was awesome, was just personable, loved his family dearly."
At this point, it's still unclear what exactly happened, but Billings said, no matter what the facts bear, this was a senseless killing.
"I have no words for it because, like I said, he was a good man and there is no reason why he had to die," Billings said.
Cancelliere's children are set to start kindergarten and third grade.
- Updated Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society