ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A prisoner from Lehigh County Prison died in the hospital Thursday after being taken to the hospital the night before.
According to Edward Sweeney, director of corrections at the prison, Alphie Herrera was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital Wednesday night after experiencing what appeared to be a medical seizure.
Sweeney said Herrera, 39, became combative with personnel who responded after the seizure. After Herrera was subdued, he was taken to the facility medical department for evaluation.
Herrera was then transported to the hospital shortly before 7:00pm.
The Lehigh County District Attorney's Office is conducting an investigation and an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause and manner of death, according to Sweeney.
- President Trump to sign executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Deadly dog attack prompts warning to other dog owners
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Arrest made in Allentown murder
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Members of white supremacist group face federal charges
- Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Nazareth rollover crash injures two
- BB gun-toting vandals shooting out car windows in Reading
- Mahoning Drive-in Theatre is open for business