HANOVER TOWNSHIP, Lehigh County, Pa. - The Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority has approved a $9.6-million sale agreement with a developer that wants to put a new Fed Ex distribution center on airport land.
The authority's board voted Tuesday in favor of a purchase and sale agreement with the Rockefeller Group, which wants to build the center on 260 acres of land owned by the airport authority.
The authority has said proceeds from the sale would be used to pay down its debt, including a $26 million court judgement.
In other business, the authority entered into a lease agreement with an unnamed financial institution to lease a former bank property near the airport's entrance.
The bank wants its name kept quiet for the time being, Darren Betters, the authority's director of business and commercial services told the board. He said it's a company with 26 branches and $1 billion in assets.
The lease will give the airport $4,500 a month in income.
Also Tuesday, authority Chairman Marc Troutman said the future of Braden Airpark is still undecided. Troutman said the airport received only a single bid to lease the Forks Township airport.
Troutman said bidders have until August 7 to make offers on the property.
The airport had reached out to the township, Lafayette College and Northampton County about acquiring Braden Both the township and the college said no. Troutman said his staff will reach out again to the county.
Earlier this year, the authority agreed to a six month moratorium on selling or closing the airport. A final decision is expected in October.
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Nazareth and Easton girls set up all-EPC District final
- Pottsville, East Stroudsburg North to play for 5A title
- Anti-Semitic threats across Pennsylvania provoke response
- Man arrested for robbing Easton convenience store
- Pending home sales down nationally, but up in the Lehigh Valley
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Nearly record warmth today and tomorrow with a few showers
- Christie set to unveil final budget proposal as governor
- Updated Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients
- Woman assaulted, robbed and bound in closet for 4 days
- Life Lessons: Does your body language say you are leadership material?
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Technical error costs company BASD contract
- Berks County withdraws support of 2017 Reading 120 bicycle race