BETHLEHEM, Pa. - A Lehigh University female student is lucky to have been left unharmed after an intruder broke into her home.
According to police, the female victim was asleep in her off-campus apartment on Monclair Ave. at about 1 p.m. Wednesday, when she was disturbed by a noise.
She woke up to find a man standing above her who fled when she screamed.
The victim described the intruder as either a Hispanic or light-skinned African-American man, approximately 30 years old, with a heavy-set build.
She said the man was wearing glasses, a light-colored baseball hat and a blue and white sports jersey.
Sgt. Jeffery Herzog of the Bethlehem Police department confirmed that the victim was never touched during the incident.
He said although her handbag was stolen, she was not injured.
The handbag was recovered down the street from the student's apartment, Herzog said.
There had been a "minimal amount" of cash in the handbag which was no longer there when the bag was recovered, according to Herzog.
Lehigh University Police are urging students to remain vigilant with regard to safety and to take basic precautions such as making sure that all doors and windows are secured at all times.
Basilio Bonilla Jr. is getting his campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner underway.Read More »
- Mini-THON held at Allentown charter school
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies