LOWER SAUCON TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Four township police officers received commendations and awards Wednesday night from Police Chief Guy L. Lesser at a Lower Saucon Twp. board of supervisors meeting.
Officer John M. Bowlby was awarded "Officer of the Year" and also received a commendation for his arrest record for driving under the influence cases.
Last year, Bowlby had 11 DUI arrests, the chief said.
Two other officers, Robert R. Winters and Charles H. Werkheiser Jr., also received commendations for 13 DUI arrests they made last year.
Werkheiser and Officer James M. Connell were each named co-runners up for "Officer of the Year."
The department has 15 full-time officers and six part-time officers who patrol a 25-square mile area with a population of more than 10,000 people.
In other action, the supervisors approved plans to build a parking lot with 40 spaces at the Easton Road Fields at 2190 Easton Road, across from the Christ Lutheran Church.
The six-acre property, acquired by the township in 2010, has two baseball fields.
- Updated Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society