LEHIGH TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A police search for a possibly armed man spurred a lockdown of Lehigh Township Elementary School in northern Northampton County Wednesday morning.
It began at 9:14 a.m. when police attempted to stop a red Mini Cooper near Route 946 and Blue Mountain Drive.
The driver, Ryan Redline, abruptly turned into a parking lot, got out of the car and fled into the woods.
Police received information that Redline, who was wanted, may be armed with a handgun.
Officials at the elementary school, located south of the police traffic stop at 800 Blue Mountain Drive, were notified of the incident and placed the school in lockdown as a precaution.
At no time did police believe Redline was near the school, according to township police chief Scott Fogel.
Joining Lehigh Township police in the search for Redline were Pennsylvania state police, as well as police from Moore Township, Northampton and Walnutport. A police dog from Northampton and a state police helicopter also assisted in the search.
Redline was arrested as he emerged from the woods near the Blue Mountain Drive-In Restaurant at 1439 Blue Mountain Drive. The drive-in, at the base of Blue Mountain, is just north of where he fled into the woods.
No handgun was found in Redline's possession.
The suspect was taken into custody for active bench warrants from Northampton County and a probation violation from Lehigh County.
Lehigh Township police slapped a new charge on him, for possession of marijuana.
An event with plenty of heart raised money for the American Heart Association Saturday night.Read More »
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Lafayette College asks for temporary dorms amid rise in applicants
- Local movie experts preview the Oscars
- Updated Cosby to ask judge for outside jury for criminal trial
- Updated Warming trend to start the week, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Boscov: An American Story
- Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association