EASTON, Pa. - A 22-year-old Easton man was arrested after running around the center of the city armed with a machete Wednesday morning.
Easton police report Jalil Jamal Wright was holding the machete when he attempted to rob a man by telling him to "run his pockets" and give him any money.
Wright was arrested at 10:33 a.m. Thursday at South Third and Pine streets. He had been running around Center Square with the machete.
Several people went into the lobby of the nearby police station to tell officers what was going on outside.
Northampton County Magisterial District Judge Antonia Grifo, who arraigned Wright, called his behavior "dangerous, unusual and disturbing."
Wright was charged with having a prohibited offensive weapon. He also was charged with simple assault. Police said he put the victim in fear of imminent serious bodily harm.
Police said Wright's victim had been selected at random. They did not say if he got any money.
Grifo committed Wright to Northampton County Prison. Bail was set at $10,000, with a 10 percent option.
Wright has no adult criminal record. He lives in an apartment in the 100 block of South Delaware Drive.
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- President Trump will celebrate 100-day benchmark with rally in Harrisburg
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Fishing event makes dreams come true
- Legendary coach honored in Kutztown
- Giant issues recall of Atkins burritos, Lay's Kettle Cooked chips
- Pennsylvania launches tax amnesty program
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.